Pages

Twitter

Sunday, May 2, 2010

SHINIES!!!!

Decided to do a more thoughtful blog. So here I am with my shiny new blog.

Now I must pose the question... WHY? Why a new blog? Well... I kind of want to detach my professional life from the screen name you can google and see several years of history. Like literally... you google that screen name and *POOF* you have data on me dating back to the early 2000s. I don't think quite as far as 2000 but pretty much from the time I started high school. While it was nice having a unique screen name that required no numbers and no one else ever used. It's kind of scary that you can track my internet history a little bit. It could also bite me in the butt later. hehe.

I have quite a bit I want to write so lets get on with my shiny new blog :D

Updates with me... I am taking 3 different courses for my last quarter as an undergraduate at UC Irvine: Social Deviance, Sports Psychology, and Social Network and Support. The funny thing is... all three classes talk about the same theories, stress, coping, and society. It's kind of nice that they all reiterate similar themes and I guess that's what's so great about Sociology and Psychology.

Deviance helps put personal actions in perspective. Sure it may be "deviant" according to society but that's just because they defined it that way. It does not necessarily mean that I must think my own actions are deviant. It also makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about yourself.

Sports Psychology is really helpful when address goal setting and coping. Learning how to pace yourself is invaluable in all areas of life. I really appreciate this class for putting things like that and actually requiring me to think about my own personal goal. Just as a note... my goal in my first paper was to find a job and I've already done several of my subgoals! YAY to progress :D

Social Networking and Support shows just how important it is to have friends and family. Social networks really tone down the stress. It also helps to know of more ways to cope with stress. That knowledge alone has been extremely helpful.

So... what have I discovered?!
  • Self-acceptance! Accepting who I am and my situation
  • More coping methods for stress! Less stress response = less anxiety/panic attacks
  • Goal Setting! I made a goal and I'm going to keep it
For self note... my goals are as follows
  • Finding a job... preferably in marketing (not so much sales), public relations, administration, human resources, or management
  • Studying for the GRE and GMAT
  • Visiting schools, gathering information, and applying to a MBA or MS program in a business related field
I also have a paper I am working on for class... I have to find articles relating to gender differences in social networks formed through online gaming and its effects on health... found 1 awesome one and only 2 more to go! w00t

That is all for today/tonight/this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment